 Off-Topic / Fun / 9449
Re: "Star Wars is silly"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 19:23:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
What a bunch of fuddy-duddies you went with.

I was referring to strangers in the theater. Pleasanton, CA if it matters.
The person I went with liked the movie a lot more than I did -- she chose
the film on a regular screen over my preference for seeing Spider-Man on an
IMAX screen. O well...

But for heaven sake's, it's only a popcorn movie...

I am happy to think so, but even then there are so many better films of that
kind to enjoy.  Then again, SW has become almost a religion for some people
-- and when one considers how bad the series truly is -- well, it's worrying.

Anyway, let me give you a short list of films I like in this category just
so you can see I am not a popcorm movie hater: Conan, Legend, Dark City, The
Crow, The Cube, Evil Dead II and III (which I think is very funny), The
Matric, Pitch Black, Fast and the Furious, Blade Runner, Dune (both
versions), Hardware, Fight Club, Predator, Alien, Aliens, Alien III, Alien
IV, Blade, Blade II, etc.  I even think that someday I will like the whole
of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but in fairness we have to wait to see how
that pans out.

SW usually just leaves me wanting more character development and I don't get
it -- and that's a really huge flaw. Y'know, I found the Jango Fett
character fairly intriguing -- I mean why would  someone do all the things
that he does? -- but before I can even begin to know him even a little, they
cut his head off.  It's just like Darth Maul -- a character I'd love to
hate.  I don't know anything about him.  Shouldn't even a popcorn movie give
us reasons to dislike the bad guys?  So far, half the characters Lucas gives
us might as well be wearing the red shirt in a Star trek episode -- they
just fail to register.

The scale of the visuals is truly awesome, the best Lucas has come up with
yet.  Had to see them on the big screen with a crowd (unless you just hate
Star Wars).

I may be coming to hate it.  And BTW, it's not like Lucas is working alone
over there at ILM, I expect we have a crack team of visual and CAD artists
to thank for the visuals -- and certainly not Lucas alone.  Anyway, I
respect what Lucas has done for visual effects and sound quality in film, no
axe to grind there.

The best shot in the whole movie was the one of the dragon on the ocean
world, it left me thinking about The Dragonriders of Pern and Elric of
Melnibone.  Two stories I'd love to see done correctly for the screen.  The
former is filled with great character development -- heck, I'd even go for a
Harper Hall film, and that would be a kiddie movie all the way.  The latter
is just intensely mythological, and I admit that my interest there is all
about eye candy.  The character development of Moorcock's fantasy may be too
sophisticated and internal to survive well to the screen.  Voice overs are
generally pretty lame, and it would be hard to both examine Melnibone
culture while simultaneously overlaying it with Elric's generally repulsed
perspective on that culture without the use of voice overs.

I guess what we get instead is Dinotopia, and I didn't see it.  Can't say I
cared much for the premise though -- too Edgar Rice Burroughs for me.

-- Hop-Frog