 Off-Topic / Fun / 9442
Re: "Star Wars is racist"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 23:35:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Richard Marchetti writes:

The Yoda as bad-ass thing points up the widening rift between sycophantic SW
fans and the rest of the world.  It is my understanding that SW fans love
this Yoda thing while it is my general feeling that everyone else is either
merely tolerant of it, or more likely -- openly disapproving. And yet I
realize that Yoda as bad-ass is first developed in the "classic" SW series,
Yoda must now be shown to have had the past that preceded him to episode V
(hoping I have this right).  So maybe I should be more forgiving about the
ways that Lucas may have ham-strung himself in doing this prequel stuff, but
then again -- why should I be?

Where in the classic trilogy does anyone say anything about Yoda's prowess in
battle?  He is referred to as wise, and powerful- but with the Force, powerful
could mean anything.  Certainly his clairvoyance with the whole Cloud City
thing was enough to make him powerful in my book, if he'd never done anything
else.  But then there's also the moving the X-Wing thing- and speaking of
which...

And while we are talking about episode V, I recall a lesson from the "Empire
Strikes Back" that it doesn't matter how big or heavy a thing is when you
are moving it with your mind, and yet this very thing becomes a pivotal
issue at the end of the current movie: one moment Yoda is forestalling the
collapse of the cave roof itself, and the next letting the bad guy get away
from him because he is mentally wrestling with some large piece of
machinery. Uh huh.

You might notice that even back in Episode V- or forward in Episode V, I guess,
depending on how you choose to look at it- Yoda had to concentrate on the
X-Wing to move it, and was visibly drained (not a bad performance for a Muppet)
after doing so.  I think Yoda's words about size not mattering are not meant to
imply that moving things of different sizes is all the same, but rather just
that it can be done.

That's not to say that there aren't plenty of inconsistencies in the movies,
just that these aren't actually examples.  But, then again, I am probably just
a sycophantic SW fan.

It's not my unwillingness to suspend disbelief long enough to enjoy a movie
that makes me dislike the SW thing -- it's the excessive internal
inconsistencies, the breaking of the fourth wall with bad humor (both
intentional and unintentional!), the appallingly insipid storyline, the
terrible dialogue, and the bad acting (which may be driven by a director who
doesn't know how to honor the available talent).

Huh.  Being the sycophantic SW fan that I am, I'm going to imitate my heroes-
the Jedi- and use the Force to call up a vision of the future.  Give me a
second here....

Yes, getting a vision I am... Released Episode III has been... Hop-Frog will go
to see it... and then will complain loudly about how bad the film is, how in
fact the whole series is riddled with plot holes and inconsistencies and bad
acting and writing, and he knew going in to the theatre that it was going to be
a dreadful experience, but went in anyway.

Of course, the Force doesn't really exist, so I could be proven wrong.  But, on
the off chance I'm right, I reserve the right to claim the title Jedi Master
Lorbaat.  Good thing Lugnet keeps messages around forever.

eric