 Off-Topic / Fun / 9437
Re: "Star Wars is racist"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 29 May 2002 09:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ross Crawford writes:
http://www.slackersguild.com/article.pl?sid=02/05/20/028214&mode=nocomment

I just want to know how to get a job like Lucas'.  I could die a happy man
if I too were lavishly rewarded with wealth and fame for writing things as
scintillating as:

"Sand is coarse and harsh -- you are soft and pretty.  Me like soft things..."

And what an expository masterstroke it was when Anakin killed all the
raiders -- adult, female, and babe. I never found him more decent and
marriage-worthy than at that moment.  Couple that with his general bad
manners, exaggerated sense of self worth, and I don't know why Anakin wasn't
beating them off with a stick.  I mean, it all made SO much sense!

And I love Lucas' clever use of great actors over those fake bromides like
Jar-Jar Binks.  Having the likes of Jimmy Smits there to speak maybe two
lines was surely a directorial coup.

So now I have to ask: Does Lucas know what a story is?  Has he ever read a
story?  I can only assume it is unfamiliarity with what his goal should be
that his left him so adrift.

Aside for George Lucas: "You want to go home and rethink your life."

Um, could y'all tell that someone drug me to this movie over the weekend?
Next time I am going to actually punch anyone that suggests I go to a movie
made by George Lucas.

Do yourself a favor, and see Spider-Man instead -- while it's not an amazing
film, it does serve up the appropriate level of nostalgic material with just
enough modern flash and fire without being insanely obnoxious.  If you must
get your N. Portman fix, I'd recommend the international version of "Leon,
the Professional" -- sure, sometimes it goes too far; but at its heart there
is a kind of truth to this movie.

-- Hop-Frog