 Off-Topic / Fun / 9184
Re: While I've got you here... (Was Re: FOTY: What a find!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:33:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:
Say, Dave!  I just heard an example another thing that makes no sense to me.
It's when people who orally quote others say, "Quote, unquote" *before*
launching into the actual quote.  I'm only glad I heard it on the radio this
time because when people do it in a conversation they make it worse by
invariably holding up two fingers of each hand and wiggling them like insect
antennae.  Is this awful tendency universal?

The insect tendency indeed *is* universal, we do it here in .il too. I
encountered the "quote, unquote" saying with my history teacher, who did not
use th insect motion, and therefore confused me greatly, because she said it
very fast, and often... "quotenquote." In Israel, we say "in quotations"
before launching in the quote, so it's a leettle better. :-) You still can't
tell when the quote ends, though!

-Shiri