 Off-Topic / Fun / 9185
Re: Meat Isn't Murder (well, not anymore)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 05:40:27 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Christopher L. Weeks writes:

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/03/22/fish.food/index.html

This is pretty cool stuff, but a loooong way from vat-grown meat IMO.  I was
assuming that while organic tissue would have to supply code for the meat
production vats, you wouldn't need to start with 'live' tissue as a seed.

  But it's an interesting first step, at least.  At some point they would
presumably engineer beefy bacteria or cloned cattle cells to grow into molds,
or somesuch, but in the meantime this seems like some good foundation work on
the off-the-animal growth problem.  The cow-fetus-blood solution seems a trifle
problematic, too.

I would count that as 'weak' vat-grown meat.  I'd wait for 'strong' vat-grown
meat instead.

  Analog vs. Digital vat-meat, perhaps.  It'll be neat to see where they go
with it.

    Dave!