 Off-Topic / Fun / 9186
9185  |  9187
Subject:
The Lutheran Church To Switch From Communion Wine To Mountain Dew...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 04:18:53 GMT

...Anticipation High For Licensing Deal To Replace Communion Wafers With
Ritz Crackers
_____

OK, I made the headine up, but if you haven't seen this yet, go to:

http://www.mountaindew.com/

Click on the MDTV link at the bottom of the page, then choose your
connection speed to view the Davey spot (Real or WMP only...sorry!).

Here's the story behind this:

Around 1960, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America asked stop-motion
animator Art Clokey, creator of Gumby, to produce a cartoon of conscience,
which would teach morals and ethics to young viewers. The adventures of a
boy and his talking dog, Davey and Goliath became a hit- a Saturday-morning
staple and a Sunday-school lesson planner. The 71 episodes ran for nearly 30
years in syndication, charming generations of kids. "Davey and Goliath found
a place in the childhood of [art director] Doris Cassar and myself," says
Bill Bruce, ecd at BBDO in New York, who was looking for something
"underground" to promote Mountain Dew. With permission from the Lutherans,
Bruce revived the characters and pursued the spirit of the show. In the ad,
Davey and friend Tommy wrestle over a can of Dew, until Dad breaks it up and
demands an explanation. "There was only one Dew left," Davey says. "Tommy
said it was his. I said it was mine, and we began to fight. We're sorry." To
teach a lesson, Dad confiscates the soda and chugs it down. "What just
happened here?" asks Tommy. "We got hosed," Davey answers. The modern
vernacular turns the spot and takes "all the piss out of the highbrow moral
lesson," Bruce says. Will Davey do the Dew again? "Maybe," Bruce concludes.
"He has to plot revenge on Dad."
From: http://www.adweek.com/adweek/creative/best_spots/index.jsp

As someone who grew up on Davey and Goliath, let me say that this is
HILARIOUS, though poorly targeted at me as I can't stand the Dew.

Matt