 Off-Topic / Fun / 890
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:45:03 GMT

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:00:26 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

If someone has a 10 meg spreadsheet, it's time to move it to Access, at
least.  Maybe even move it to a real RDBMS.[1]

That depends entirely on what kind of spreadsheet it is - some types
just aren't suited to being pushed in a DB.

[1] Don't get me wrong, I like Access a lot.  But sometimes you just
need to push all that processing off on some other machine.  Like a
Linux box running Sybase.

Well, why are you running Access at all, if you have a Linux box?

All kidding aside, for a nice C/S DB solution, you _could_ use a Win
NT box as the server. Of course, a NT cluster with a couple of dual
Xeon 450s will get you just about the speed of a single Linux Alpha.

Jasper