 Off-Topic / Fun / 894
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:53:16 GMT

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:45:03 GMT, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper
Janssen) wrote:

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:00:26 GMT, blisses@worldnet.att.net (Steve
Bliss) wrote:

If someone has a 10 meg spreadsheet, it's time to move it to Access, at
least.  Maybe even move it to a real RDBMS.[1]

That depends entirely on what kind of spreadsheet it is - some types
just aren't suited to being pushed in a DB.

Rilly?  I guess that's possible, I just haven't seen them.  I _have_
seen too many spreadsheets trying to be applications, because the person
who put the spreadsheet together was an Excel pro, and didn't know there
were better ways to present large amounts of group-able, relation-able
data.  Thousands of cells, copying data across hundreds of columns,
performing cryptic transformations of innocent data, with no apparent
organization, coherence, security, or any other redeeming quality you
can think up.

[1] Don't get me wrong, I like Access a lot.  But sometimes you just
need to push all that processing off on some other machine.  Like a
Linux box running Sybase.

Well, why are you running Access at all, if you have a Linux box?

I don't, but if I had a personal need for a C/S DB, I'd seriously
consider a Linux/Sybase setup.

Steve