 Off-Topic / Fun / 899
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:05:12 GMT

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 15:53:16 GMT, Steve Bliss uttered the following
profundities...

Rilly?  I guess that's possible, I just haven't seen them.  I _have_
seen too many spreadsheets trying to be applications, because the person
who put the spreadsheet together was an Excel pro, and didn't know there
were better ways to present large amounts of group-able, relation-able
data.  Thousands of cells, copying data across hundreds of columns,
performing cryptic transformations of innocent data, with no apparent
organization, coherence, security, or any other redeeming quality you
can think up.

In my department, the 2 of us, are neither Access nor Excel
pros, however, the data we have needs to be presented as
well as analyzed. We store the half-million records in Access,(1)
crosstab query them, link them up with various this and thats,
which can't be done in Excel (automagically or easily,anyway).
What is left of those records in the form of a crosstab query
is then dumped into an Excel spreadsheet, DSUM the hell out
of it, and print out the presentations. I am sure there is
an all DB solution, but making reports in the fashion of the
Excel ones we have is just **too** much work. We did have an
Access/Excel "Pro," but it proved a mixed solution worked the
best!

(1) We work for an airline. The data to be analysed and presented
is booking data. We report the bookings and market share of us
against our competitors, both top-level, and broken down into
individual locations, agency chains, etc. All of our problems
will be solved when someone decides to tell us the secret location
where the Powerplay datacubes are hidden! Then we can do true OLAP.
richard.dee@nospam.virgin.net               remove nospam dot
Web Site:   http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888                  ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit:    http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model?       http://www.kl.net/scans/