 Off-Topic / Fun / 8731
Re: Mountain bike advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 02:27:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:
4)  Is it possible to have your current bike repaired?  This may *seem* to
cost a lot, but if you're comfortable on this bike, then maybe it's worth
it.  Such is the case with my current bike, and the one I've had for 6
seasons now. It came from a Goodwill/Salvation Army sale and cost less than
$100.  I've since put about that much in upgrades/repairs into it, but it
has a fit and feel I like a lot.  It has absolutely no suspension and the
guys at the shop always wonder how I can ride it.  Guts man... it just takes
guts.  ;)

Well, my current bike cost $100...new.  It also has no suspension, the frame is
rusty, the rear wheel is irrepairably bent (so that it wobbles about 1.5
inches) so the rear (sidepull) brakes hardly work, the front gear shift cable
snapped, only the three smallest rear gears work, the chain is about as short
as it can get from removing broken links (and there are probably more), and the
front brakes wobble.  It does take guts to ride...but I'd like to be able to go
down a hill on a trail without fearing death or up a hill without getting off
the bike.
  So...I think it's time for a new one.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht