 Off-Topic / Fun / 8730
Re: Mountain bike advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:54:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Hey all,
I'm looking for a new bike cause my current one is falling apart.  Does anyone
here have advice on the best mountain bike I can get for $200-$400, or any
other advice pertaining to purchasing a bike?

Hey Bram,

Allan's made some very good points about splurging on a better bike for
fewer problems down the line. Personally, I'm (still, after several years)
saving my pennies for a Cannondale, however, here's a couple of things that
might help you out.

First, if you're not in an insane hurry to get the bike, keep your eyes
peeled at Costco. Avoid the Motiv brand bikes like the plague they are, but
on the rare instance, they pop up with a single shipment of Treks (both
mountain and cruiser). Be ready to get it the moment you see it, 'cause they
don't last long. The last models I saw were fixed frame with front
suspension (fork or head, don't remember which). Good components too.

Second, you can usually get a great deal on "last-years" models from the
better manufacturers at local bike shops. The last Cannondale I considered
was a discontinued model that was still in the distribution channel, and my
local bike shop was willing to cut $400 off the price ($1000 bike mind
you...$600 was a steal). It also pays to make friends with someone at the
local shop.

Hope some of this helps.

Matt