 Off-Topic / Fun / 871
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:38:22 GMT

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:42:05 GMT, "Selçuk <teyyareci>"
<sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

It's my far future dream, too. Overclocking what I have on top of my Asus
P5AB(1) board is the only way to go for now.

Asus Rocks. Period. No doubt about it.

<other stuff taken to email>

(1) I heard many things about Abit, but I have a very nice background with Asus,
and thinking about stick with it. During the 486-586 period, I've generally used
Gigabyte, and it was also a very nice one, with sturdy and ahead of time design,
although not having as much bells and whistles like Asus. I have also a Asus
Riva 128ZX AGP display adapter, and like it much (although the evil designers
introduced TNT just about two months after the introduction of ZX &%#$@#@#)

Yeah... I started with a dx2/66 clone something or other, stayed with
that for 3 years, and decided it was time for something new. So I got
myself an Asus TX-97, (335 guilders) and a P-166 MMX (300 guilders) to
go with it. And some other stuff, too, but that's not relevant :).
After ~6 months, IIRC, I'd decided I wanted a G200 graphics card, to
go with the Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 17 I acquired cheaply in between.
Of course, G200 only comes in AGP. Guess what slot TX-97 doesn't
offer? No points for that one. So, I changed to a new motherboard.
Something sucky with an "AGPPro" chipset. Right now, I'm having major
problems with this damn thing. 2 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP, ok? Now, the PCI
nearest the AGP uses the same interrupt. 1 down, two to go. Another of
the PCI slots appears to be just simply broken. Leaving me with _one_
working PCI slot, to put my PCI ethernet card _and_ my SCSI card in.
That means that, for most of the time, I have connectivity, and if I
want to burn CDs, I can't use the network. Aaaaargggghhh!!!!

So, here is my story then. I started with a 386SX16 in 1992, with 1M of ram, 40M
of hdd (Seagate ST157A, with an amzing(!) 500+ K/sec. of data transfer rate), a
512K Oak 067 vga card, a mono vga monitor, other regular stuff plus a 5.25 fdd
besides 3.5 one, a pretty common thing for those days also. Then added first a
mathco (what a price!), then 2 megs more ram, then 2 megs more. Then hdd became
a 240M Maxtor , vga card became a 512K Trident (880 something?) and monitor
changed into another vga mono. Then got my first big step with a 386DX40, but
ram drops to 4M from 5M (you couldn't use those 44256s on a simm socketed 386
board) but vga card goes up to 1M (you couldn't throw out those 44256s, too).
Only after one moth or so, I got my first 486 board, with a Cyrix 486DX33 on it.
Then it became a Cx486DX266, then a Cx486DX280, then an IntelDX4100, then again
a Cx586100 (my first overclocked chip) with numerous motherboard changes (I had
started a part time technician for a computer store at those times). During this
time, hdd first became a Fujitsu 420, than a Conner 512, then a Quantum 540 (I
fall in love with Quantum at this point), then a Quantum 820, then a Quantum 1G,
then a Quantum 1.2G. Ram baceme first 6, then 8, then 12, then 16. VGA became
first an s3 805 (first VESA card), then an S3 Trio64 (first PCI card), then a
Dioamnd 3D 2000. I also add a Creative 4x CD-ROM drive, a Colorado 350 tape
backup, a SB Pro II, n 14400 modem, a 8-bit ethernet (just for DOMM II) card,
too. And case became a double fanned midi tower from a simple mini tower one.

Uff...so long, so boring..I didn't imagine that when I was starting.

Anyway at the end, I have an overclocked MMX 233 on an Asus P5AB with 64M ram,
5.6G Quantum hdd (8 MB/sec on my PC, very nice one), Asus Riva 128ZX 3D
accelarator/display adapter, SB AWE64, noname PCI ethernet card, Creative 33.6
modem, Creative Infra 4800 CD-ROM, Phillips CDD3610 CD-RW, Pixelviw PlayTV
TV/Radio card (pretty nice for decoding nagravision), ADI 4P+ monitor, adn other
standard stuff.

Sorry, I really didn't guess that much long..:-)

As far as Asus goes, I'd use them for motherboards, if they were for
not-to-be-overclocked systems. For overclocking, however, Abit
motherboards appear to be slightly better suited than Asus, at least
according to http://www.tomshardware.com/ . As graphics card
manufacturers, however, I have far less trust in them. I'd rather have
a Diamond/Matrox card than an Asus, I think. but that's a subjective
opinion. :)

Jasper

Asus, IMO, as cometing as the other ones nowadays, at least they were the first
having a RivaZX, then RÝva TNT chipset display card. (TNT was the first chipset
that I remember which has a better performance than voodoo II)

Selçuk