 Off-Topic / Fun / 868
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:18:10 GMT

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 00:42:05 GMT, "Selçuk <teyyareci>"
<sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

It's my far future dream, too. Overclocking what I have on top of my Asus
P5AB(1) board is the only way to go for now.

Asus Rocks. Period. No doubt about it.

<other stuff taken to email>

(1) I heard many things about Abit, but I have a very nice background with Asus,
and thinking about stick with it. During the 486-586 period, I've generally used
Gigabyte, and it was also a very nice one, with sturdy and ahead of time design,
although not having as much bells and whistles like Asus. I have also a Asus
Riva 128ZX AGP display adapter, and like it much (although the evil designers
introduced TNT just about two months after the introduction of ZX &%#$@#@#)

Yeah... I started with a dx2/66 clone something or other, stayed with
that for 3 years, and decided it was time for something new. So I got
myself an Asus TX-97, (335 guilders) and a P-166 MMX (300 guilders) to
go with it. And some other stuff, too, but that's not relevant :).
After ~6 months, IIRC, I'd decided I wanted a G200 graphics card, to
go with the Iiyama Visionmaster Pro 17 I acquired cheaply in between.
Of course, G200 only comes in AGP. Guess what slot TX-97 doesn't
offer? No points for that one. So, I changed to a new motherboard.
Something sucky with an "AGPPro" chipset. Right now, I'm having major
problems with this damn thing. 2 ISA, 3 PCI, 1 AGP, ok? Now, the PCI
nearest the AGP uses the same interrupt. 1 down, two to go. Another of
the PCI slots appears to be just simply broken. Leaving me with _one_
working PCI slot, to put my PCI ethernet card _and_ my SCSI card in.
That means that, for most of the time, I have connectivity, and if I
want to burn CDs, I can't use the network. Aaaaargggghhh!!!!

As far as Asus goes, I'd use them for motherboards, if they were for
not-to-be-overclocked systems. For overclocking, however, Abit
motherboards appear to be slightly better suited than Asus, at least
according to http://www.tomshardware.com/ . As graphics card
manufacturers, however, I have far less trust in them. I'd rather have
a Diamond/Matrox card than an Asus, I think. but that's a subjective
opinion. :)

Jasper