 Off-Topic / Fun / 872
Re: Frog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:26:46 GMT

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:38:22 GMT, "Selçuk <teyyareci>"
<sgore@nospam.superonline.com> wrote:

<Sa'snip>

Uff...so long, so boring..I didn't imagine that when I was starting.
Not _that_ boring to a fellow geek - and I imgaine that lugnet's geek
content is as much higher compared to AFOLs in general, as AFOL are to
the general populace. Or something like that.

Anyway, my first computing experience came when I was 2, in 1981, and
my mother arrived home with a rather large suitcase. That was the
Osborne OS/1 luggable. Only $2.5-3k or so, <marketing> and look what
you got: You gots yerself a fully industry compatible Z80
microprocessor, at 1 _million_ whole Hertz (it could have been 2, I';m
not _quite_ certain anymore), You got yourself a screen that's a whole
3" in diagonal, you got yourself SixtyFour Thousand Characters of
memory, you's got yourself _two_ Full Height 5 1/4", Single Density,
Singgle sided, 92 kilobytes/disk, diskdrives, for which the diskettes
cost _only_ about $75 for a box of 10! And, now comes the better part
yet, it runs Industry-standard CP/M software! Comes with a full suite
of business programs, including Operating System, Basic, WordStar, and
several other applications! DBase II as an option! </marketing>

Needless to say, it still resides in the cell^H^H^H^Hcomputer museum
section of our house.

Then, in '85, my mother got an XT to run WordPerfect 4.0 on (and some
other stuff)

It had, get this, _twice_ the default amount of memory! a _whole_
friggin' 256 kilobyte! Not to mention the 10 meg HD. We got that very
cheap, because we could buy two (one for my dad's office, and one for
us), out of a party of 50 or so. So, instead of $8k list, we paid only
$4k. Incidentally, that XT made my dad's department the first of the
city of Den Bosch to be IT'ed.

Then there's the string of 286-12 w/1 meg, which pushed the XT through
to my dad, who by this time had finally learned how to use WP
(incidentally, that XT couldn't run WP 5.1 - that would've required
512 K of memory)

Then later, we bought a 386DX-40 with color screen for my father on
clearance, which had *gasp* a color VGA screen (I remember crerating
quite impressive displays of color in Qbasic).

Then, I used my *own* money, to buy my very first comp - that 486 I
mentioned.

The 286 was bad quality parts, it's given up. Well, the HD has
crashed, and the power supply has burnt out. The rest of the parts are
still in storage, or given away.

The 386's HD has crashed, too. However, that one was replaced with
slightly larger 100 meg one, and is now serving happily as Linux
Masquerading router.

Anyway at the end, I have an overclocked MMX 233 on an Asus P5AB with 64M ram,
5.6G Quantum hdd (8 MB/sec on my PC, very nice one), Asus Riva 128ZX 3D
accelarator/display adapter, SB AWE64, noname PCI ethernet card, Creative 33.6
modem, Creative Infra 4800 CD-ROM, Phillips CDD3610 CD-RW, Pixelviw PlayTV
TV/Radio card (pretty nice for decoding nagravision), ADI 4P+ monitor, adn other
standard stuff.

Okay, lesse.. my comp is a intel P166 MMX on a no-name board, w 64
megs, a 4.3 gig and a 850 meg WD drive, Matrox G200 (_very_ good 2D
quality, especially compared to that Virge/DX thingy), no real sound
card (a sound chip is on the motherboard, and I never bothered to
upgrade my sound card beyond genuine SBPro 2.0), noname PCI combo
ethernet, the Dynalink 33.6 is currently not being used, but available
if I take the trouble of plugging it in, A-Open 24x CDRom, Yamaha
CDR-400t 4 speed SCSI II burner, an NCR-860 based SCSI card, a so far
not quite working 1x old Apple CDRom, an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 17
monitor (_really_ good quality, for the $600 it costs... Diamondtron
.25 dp tube) Lessee... floppy drive. Oh, and the case is a Big-Tower
model, expanded to use two powersupplies instead of one. Not redundant
power supplys yet, tho :). Oh, and my 100W stereo system is currently
hooked up in the computer room. I really need to buy myself a second
hand set of amp+speakers so I can use the stereo somewhere else.

Sorry, I really didn't guess that much long..:-)

Me either :)

Asus, IMO, as cometing as the other ones nowadays, at least they were the first

cometing? I'm sorry, but.. I don't get it. *rueful smile*

having a RivaZX, then RÝva TNT chipset display card. (TNT was the first chipset
that I remember which has a better performance than voodoo II)

well, being the first to have something doesn't always mean anything
:)

Besides, who needs Riva. I want Voodoo II SLI, or alternatively,
Voodoo III 3000. None of that is in my budget for a while yet, tho :)

Jasper