 Off-Topic / Fun / 8555
Re: Yet another reason that Australia is the coolest country EVER
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 23:56:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  This has to be one of the most interesting internet services
  I've ever seen:

  http://www.toiletmap.gov.au/

  I'd pay taxes for one of these in the UK, thasfersure.
  (Fortunately a public privy isn't any farther than your
  local Golden Arches or other chain store 'round here.)
  But I do have to wonder how useful it is to have this on
  the internet, which most people presumably use from home
  or from work, and where I would expect they have their
  own (easily-located) toilet?

Well, it *is* interesting, and according to the "What's the use" on the page
it has a purpose - to help those who suffer from incontinence ore are
"feeling tight" to use a proper toilet anywhere they go. It reveals a deep
concern for those with a quite common condition.
I could wonder what exactly this implies: Imagine I'm driving on the Desert,
I "must go", and I stop the car to "go". Is it illegal to address Nature's
call right there, surrounded by sand alone? Or must I keep driving until I
find one of the places listed?
Or is this just a service intended for the urbanized areas, where someone
can see you in a "moment of weakness" (well... whatever), and make you feel
uncomfortable?
And like you say, it is not that difficult to find a place where you'll be
allowed to use a toilet - heck, I've been allowed in *houses* from strangers
when travelling and unable to find a proper place to "relieve the pressure".

I have noticed the group where this was posted, but nevertheless I am
curious about the subject - not merely amused. I am sure this must have a
reason beyond the obvious hygienic one... right?

Pedro (Really confused...)