 Off-Topic / Fun / 8552
Re: Grow up.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:11:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jude Beaudin writes:
Not since Alanis wrote a song about it. :-)

I object!! Jude, I've known you to be very ironic and I've only met you in
'99 (maybe even 2000). And Alanis' song was published in '96.

-Shiri
"...it's like raaaaayyyyyaaaaiin..."

  Rain on your wedding day isn't ironic, it just sucks.  In fact,
  very little of that song is actually *about* ironic things.

Does it really matter?  It's still a great song.  And a ground-breaking album.

   Nah, I can't agree.  It's an important album, but she was
   hardly the first to sing in angst-style.  Why shouldn't it
   matter whether or not a song makes sense?  If it didn't matter,
   it wouldn't need words.  To each their own, however.

  That's why I generally hate [1] Alanis, and feel that Canadians
  should hang their heads in shame over her (and Jim Carrey, while
  we're at it).

Egad!  Are you insane?  I do hope you're kidding.  Here are two examples of
Canadians who weren't afraid to be successful and remind us of just what's
possible.  You're kidding on this one, right?

   I'm not kidding at all.  There are a lot of much better role
   models of success among Canadians, because they didn't become
   annoyances in the process--you've got to scrape the barrel
   pretty deeply, IMHO, to come up with those two (or Shatner, say,
   or Tom Green).  That's why I mentioned them as the figurative
   lower tier of the national output [2], at least as I see it.

   The Sutherlands and pretty much the entire cast of "Kids in the Hall"
   would be better candidates, to me.  Hey, isn't Rich Little a Canadian?
   He's the taste of an older generation, but he's aged well.  And, of
   course, we can't forget Neil Young, Sarah Maclachlan, and Peter Jennings.
   I think there's a surfeit of Canadian success to be had without resorting
   to comparatively kitschy talent.  I can no doubt find dozens more
   without breaking a sweat.

   best

   LFB

   [1] (Although "hate" is a very strong word for Alanis.)<--late note

   [2] We can, of course, break into a litany of every nation's shameful
       contributions to the entertainment world, which might be rather
       fun.  I think the US deserves a truckload of eyeball-biting
       monkeys for Bob Saget alone...