 Off-Topic / Fun / 784
Re: Lego Creator Activity Book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:08:04 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
Well, errors of just about any kind don't really bother me in any sort
of conversation-oriented forum.  I would no sooner worry about
correcting grammar and common spelling errors in someone's usenet post
than I would interrupt someone and explain the difference between
using hopefully as an adverb and using the phrase "I am hopeful",
although that is probably one of my worst peeves.

I notice these types of errors, but don't make a big deal out of them because,
as you said, this is a conversation oriented forum, and not everyone is
perfect (or needs to be in this case).

The errors that bother me primarily are the ones that exist on
websites and even magazines and books that OUGHT to be error-free, or
at least reasonably so.

I proofread my papers before turning them in for a grade in college.
Is it too much to ask that these web "journalists" do the same with
their websites?

I generally don't have to proofread (Although I usually do) because I'm a
perfectionist.  If I know I made a mistake, I *have* to correct it before going
on.  ;)  That may be part of the reason I notice so many spelling errors when
reading books.

Jeff