 Off-Topic / Fun / 779
Re: Lego Creator Activity Book
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:25:03 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
Jeff Stembel <Dragonelf1@aol.com> wrote:
This reminds me:  How many here pick up on all or almost all misspellings in
books and stuff?  The sheer amount I see makes me wonder if it is just me, or
do publishers tend to employ bad editors?

I honestly think the web and the way it makes it possible for everyone
with an ISP to become a "webmaster" contributes to this.

I cringe every time I read one of my computer news sites and have to
stop counting errors in the first few paragraphs or go insane.

I actually offered my services as an editor to a buddy who ran a
gaming new site once.  He declined and basically said that the number
of errors on his site were acceptable and even if they weren't they
wouldn't really matter since nobody really paid real attention to
them.

My mother always said I inherited my grandfather's "editor's genes" - he was a
newspaper editor in the 40's and 50's, and towards the end of his life, would
often start a diatribe about the low quality of writing in newspapers today,
and frequently assaulted the practise of writing to the lowest common
denominator.

I have been known from time to time to explode in similar fashion - although
not nearly as often - which is why I avoid usenet like the plague.

James