 Off-Topic / Fun / 6681
Re: DVD madness?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:23:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

The standard thing is to price all of an artist's albums the same.  The only
reason to price it cheaper is so that it will remain on the shelves when it
otherwise wouldn't.  That isn't a problem with Pink Floyd.  Further,
different stores will price things differently, so $16.99 isn't a definitive
price (seems awfully expensive to me).

  That exorbitant price is a symptom of this extravagant Pittsburgh
lifestyle in which I find myself--at Penn State there was a store in which
nearly all CD's, even brand new, were $11.98.

Along the same lines, I noticed that Dangerous Liasons, a well-respected
piece of cinema, is selling on DVD for $14.99, which is especially peculiar
considering that Teen Wolf 2 was $24.99!  I didn't even know there'd been a
sequel, though it's delightful to see some of Jason Bateman's neglected work.
What's the logic here?  Teen Wolf 2 probably grossed about $24.99 at the box
office!  Did anyone see it? Would anyone pay $25 to see it again and again
and again?

Well-respected and much-bought are two different things.  They may have a
surplus that they are trying to dump, or sales are too slow at a higher
price for Dangerous Liasons.  Teen Wolf 2 probably has a much smaller print
run (higher per unit cost), and the price is high until production costs are
recouped.  Demand will undoubtedly fall off fast.

  A very sensible explanation.  My only remaining question, though, is why
Teen Wolf 2 was even produced on DVD (or at all, for that matter) in the
first place!

What the market will bear, if only for a short time.

  That's a good corollary.  I'll check back in a few months to see if TW2
has leapt off the shelves at its current price or if the price has come down
at all.

     Dave!