 Off-Topic / Fun / 6489
Re: The future is now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 01:50:08 GMT

Actually it was the future in the 1960s
http://www.mecha.com/~conkle/Hardiman/hardiman.htm

DARPA was fooling around with a concept called "Hardiman"
a few decades ago. The first picture may seem familiar
because
that's where the idea for the forklift suit in Aliens came
from.
They shelved Hardiman because the suit was too slow and
heavy
and couldn't respond fast enough to the wearer's input to
be practical.
I read about this in some robotics research journals
in the basement of the MIT library about ten years ago.
----------

(that came from klaupacius, didn't know if it made it to here...)

supposed to make you stronger faster
for only six million dollars
-paul

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G78t3q.4s5@lugnet.com, Ran Talbott wrote:

Speaking of which,  I'm pretty sure I saw the first artist's conceptions (or
possibly even a photo of a full-sized mock-up) of a powered exoskeleton in PM,
back in the 60s.  IIRC,  it was called something like "the Man Amplifier",
and
had a space-frame cab vaguely like a Star Wars AT-ST in outline (rectangular
from the front,  trapezoidal from the sides).  Might've had 2 legs,  but I'm
pretty sure it was 4.  Plus a couple of simple arms with 2- or 3-fingered
pincers for "hands".

Anybody else remember this?

Ran

I wasn't around back in the 60s, but I have read about the machine you're
describing. I suppose microprocessor and strong, light materials have
progressed to the point where they would like to try it again.

~Mark "Muffin Head" Sandlin