 Off-Topic / Fun / 6477
Re: The future is now
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 06:38:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Mark Sandlin writes:

That's because you're a KID. It first appeared in Popular Mechanics back in
the 80's.

Speaking of which,  I'm pretty sure I saw the first artist's conceptions (or
possibly even a photo of a full-sized mock-up) of a powered exoskeleton in PM,
back in the 60s.  IIRC,  it was called something like "the Man Amplifier",  and
had a space-frame cab vaguely like a Star Wars AT-ST in outline (rectangular
from the front,  trapezoidal from the sides).  Might've had 2 legs,  but I'm
pretty sure it was 4.  Plus a couple of simple arms with 2- or 3-fingered
pincers for "hands".

Anybody else remember this?

Ran