 Off-Topic / Fun / 6330
Re: King, Queen & Jack
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 18:46:40 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Scott Arthur writes:
I read Dave's post the wrong way, I thought it one of those trick questions
which go around at this time of year. It got me thinking about this one
which I read a week or so ago:

Only one of the following statements about a particular hand of cards is true:
a. There is a king in the hand, or an ace, or both.
b. There is a queen in the hand, or an ace, or both.
c. There is a jack in the hand, or a ten, or both.

Q. Is it possible that there is an ace in the hand?

If you have seen before, please hold of replying for a bit. These things
never have the same impact when one is expecting trouble - but I thought
this would be fun.

Well, I haven't seen it before, but the answer is no.  I'll refrain from
explaining why, for folks still playing at home, but will offer a hint:
'might be true' doesn't hold any weight in logical puzzle solving.  Think in
terms of must be true or can't be true.

James