 Off-Topic / Fun / 6139
Re: NOTICE of REVOKATION
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:17:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

(but then again, like I should complain when compared with Larry's
moniker.

The difficulty of my last name is vastly overblown...

At least I can get people in the ballpark by saying the rules of
English apply to my name).

Mine too. But no one believes me.

Pine-ee-ah-zek.  See, my guess is that it would not follow english and the
Pien would be pronounced as two syllables.  Or possibly more Germanic where
it would have a long E sound rather than a long I.

If you just use every letter in my last name, in the order that they are
present, you'll get close enough as makes no difference to the correct
pronounciation.

Try it!

Pi-en-i-a-zek ... Now slur it together a bit to get down to 3 syllables and
Bob's your uncle. "pin-ya-zeck" See? That wasn't hard.

Ah, well, as you said, no one believes you (probably because they are
right!).  :-)

It's not hard to say so much as impossible to figure out.  In the 1600s my
family name was spelled Schlieczkberndt (next generation Schlizckberndt,
then Schlickbernd).  I had always suspected the extra e and t, but I have no
idea where that z came from and how it was pronounced.  Why oh why didn't
they keep hacking letters off!  :-)

-->Bruce<--

++Lar