 Off-Topic / Fun / 5880
Re: Architecture project 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:25:04 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
I like 3a/3b the best.  Nice curve, more open, lets more light in.  Natural
light would be important to an artist?

That's the south side of the building, so the light would be to direct for the
studio.  However, there would be more light in the circular patio area and the
common room/interior exhibition which make up the interior portion of the
circle.  The outdoor portion of the circle serves as an exterior exposition
area.

Second choice would be 1a/1b. Like the circle being complete. More privacy in
entrance area.  An artist would value privacy? Maybe living area is located
near entrance and a more closed area would be better?

Hmm, the bedroom doesn't open up onto the entrance but into the common area
which opens onto both the patio and deck.

Is there only one entrance? Do building codes require 2?

Not that I know of...but anyway, we're not required to stick to the codes.
Anyway, there are many (glass) doors onto the patio by  the entrance and onto
the deck.  In a pinch, you could always get off the deck...

Is part of your project how the structure is oriented on the land?

Uh, I guess so :)

Do you need to take into account N/S/E/W exposure and the Quality of light and
time of day light comes into the building?

Well, I put the studio and large glass window on the north where the most
natural light is least direct and best for working in.

Did Le Corbusier have a favorite way of orienting his buildings

Not that I know of.

predominately, certain way of placing windows on specific sides to control
amount and angle of light which penetrates and illuminates inside of
structure...?

He likes to put strip windows all around, like I have.

Off Lake Erie, wind could be factor.  Orientation of open triangle corner
would need to take both direction of sun and wind?

It takes on all the wind...but that's also where the view is.  Remember,
there's the patio if it gets too windy :)

I like your work.  It will be interesting to see the final structure.

Thanks!
--Bram