 Off-Topic / Fun / 5586
  Military Weapon Designations?

How are the official designations for military weapons decided in the US? That is, what do the M and the 16 mean, exactly, in M-16? I know, of course, that many weapons are described by their calibre and bore size, but what about the others? For (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Military Weapon Designations?

(...) I understand that it's quite arbitrary, and includes some amount of marketing tactics as well as back-biting amongst the various military departments and contract bidders. For example, the M-16 is a 5.56 caliber carbine fully-automatic rifle (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  (canceled)

  Re: Military Weapon Designations?

<snip> (...) The "Y" designation refers to a pre-production fighter's experimental status. I think if the government is producing it, they give it the "X" prefix. ~Mark (24 years ago, 15-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Military Weapon Designations?

OK, here's something hopefully definitive: (...) However, the Mustang experimental craft were "XP-51," while the Superfortress designation was "YB-17," and they came from the same level of production. Rather than designating sector of origin, (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Military Weapon Designations?

(...) **snip of some interesting stuff!** (...) this) The only $.02 I can contribute: I just bought an Osprey book of Lockheed "cutaways" featuring some interesting breadth info about a number of aircraft without much depth about any specific model. (...) (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)