 Off-Topic / Fun / 5587
Re: Military Weapon Designations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 19:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Dave Schuler writes:
How are the official designations for military weapons decided in the US? That
is, what do the M and the 16 mean, exactly, in M-16?

I understand that it's quite arbitrary, and includes some amount of marketing
tactics as well as back-biting amongst the various military departments and
contract bidders.

For example, the M-16 is a 5.56 caliber carbine fully-automatic rifle
manufactured by Colt; another military-standard Colt sidearm, the M1911, was
named after the year it was created.  The M-9 is a 9-mm semiautomatic pistol
made by Beretta.  (Variants of the M-16 include the AR-15, another designation
category altogether.)

Another example, using vehicles:  the F-4 Phantom is a general-purpose
fighter-bomber used by the US Air Force.  The F-14 Tomcat is a short-range
air-to-air interceptor used by the US Navy.  The Harrier is a V/STOL figher
used by the Marines, and has no "F"-designation.

And then it gets weird.  In looking for a new advanced tactical fighter, the
USAF held a competition between two contractors' entries, each woth a different
designation (YF-22 and YF-23), BEFORE the USAF decided which one to adopt.  But
when the Army looked for a replacement for the old M1911 sidearm, they reserved
the M-9 designation for the winner.

Huh, that's not much better than "I dunno".  :-,  But I suspect that
it is largely marketing.

Cheers,
- jsproat