 Off-Topic / Fun / 5592
Re: Military Weapon Designations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 09:36:36 GMT

<snip>

And then it gets weird.  In looking for a new advanced tactical fighter, the
USAF held a competition between two contractors' entries, each woth a
different
designation (YF-22 and YF-23), BEFORE the USAF decided which one to adopt.
But
when the Army looked for a replacement for the old M1911 sidearm, they
reserved
the M-9 designation for the winner.

Huh, that's not much better than "I dunno".  :-,  But I suspect that
it is largely marketing.

Cheers,
- jsproat

The "Y" designation refers to a pre-production fighter's experimental
status. I think if the government is producing it, they give it the "X"
prefix.

~Mark