 Off-Topic / Fun / 5602
Re: Military Weapon Designations?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 17:22:16 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

OK, here's something hopefully definitive:

  **snip of some interesting stuff!**

Interestingly, the USAF seems to have recycled both bomber and fighter
designations, fighters shortly after the F-111 (although the F-117 defies
this)

  The only $.02 I can contribute:
  I just bought an Osprey book of Lockheed "cutaways" featuring some
interesting breadth info about a number of aircraft without much depth about
any specific model.  However, it indicated that while the stealth fighter was
being test flown, the pilots would record the "meaningless" number 117 in the
log books, and the designation stuck.  I'll get a more precise quote from the
book after work tonight, if anyone wants it.

     Dave!