 Off-Topic / Fun / 4679
4678  |  4680
Subject:
Moving to .nl
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 05:47:06 GMT

Hi everyone,

I don't know if any Nederlanders read .fun regularly, but this is the
place to post it according to the TOS--I wanted to ask a question about
computers and availability in the Netherlands.  Why on LUGNET?  Because
people are friendly, and an inordinate number of us seem to be
computer-savvy.  But even I am stuck on this one!

Here's the situation:

-I will be a visiting scholar at Universiteit Leiden next year (August
2000 to July 2001).  A vital part of my "being" is my computer, because
that has all of my précis and papers on it, not to mention that it's
what I'm familiar with, have bookmarks set based upon, have my
electronic address book in, and so forth.  The power supply is
switchable to 240, so with an adaptor plug I'm in business; it would
cost about $85 to ship via air parcel.

-I have been considering a new laptop.  This also does not concern
location; but if I bring a laptop, it's silly to bring a
desktop/midtower.  Likewise, if I do not bring the midtower I will have
to buy a laptop.

So my questions are thus:

-Does anyone from the United Provinces, or who's been there for an
extended period, know offhand if it's better to buy a laptop here in the
US and take it abroad, or to buy it in the Netherlands?  The pricing
sometimes is relatively similar, but I'm unfamiliar with the quality
issue--familiar brands are out of my price range there.  (If the prices
and brands are stable across the EU, that would be helpful to know as
well, because I will be in Germany as well.

-If I bring a desktop, are there any issues that might arise if I buy a
monitor in the Netherlands?  What's the cost of a mid-range 17" monitor,
about?  And does anyone have experience with shipping computers
overseas, good bad or pricey?

Anyways, fire away.  Any intel is appreciated!

hoogachtend

LFB