 Off-Topic / Fun / 431
Re: Top ten useless Lego pieces (and how to use them...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 23:30:50 GMT

Richard Dee writes:
I WAS gonna say the 1x3 and 2x3 bricks but I just had a project that

I would have said the same about those, too. But my pyramid consumed quite
a few of both, especially when I ran out of 2x4's, and 2x3's were all that
was left. 1x3's were essential for the corners.

For me, probably the most generally useless is the 1x1 brick. On some
occasions
I use them for filling, but the silver bucket full of the things is rarely
ever opened.

I find that I end up using most of my bricks regardless of size...I find the
1x1's _very_ useful in my projects because my attempts to replicate 'realistic'
architecture on a minifig scale always seem to leave holes in the weirdest
places.

Personally I would say the most useless pieces (excepting, of course, that
there are no useless pieces - just pieces you haven't used yet)are...

10: Those big western barrels - there aren't (as far as I'm aware) anything to
lid them with, so they aren't ever going to be anything but rain barrels.

9: The bat. (and the 'smal animal' thing in general)  Come on!  Those things
are bigger than the Lego cat!

8: The 'dual-wing' piece that they use for the front of space ships... of
course, I build castle theme

7: The bright (yellow/orange/green) antennae - ditto last reason

6: The 'Witch' figure that permeates Fright Knights... That is IMHO, the least
desirable minifig TLG has put out

5: The 'Excalibur' shiny silver swords - again the size ratio to the minifgs
they go with seems out to lunch, to me

4: Most things yellow.  I have no idea why, I just seem to never/rarely use
yellow in my projects.

3: The various varieties of 'windsheild', but again, I build castle stuff

2: Hinges/turntables/revolving walls/othe moving things in more than one color.
I mean really, what's the point of having a secret revolving wall chunk if
everyone can point to the bright blue hinge?

And the number one most useless pieces.... is not, a piece as such, more of a
situation...
1: Half of a matched pair. (sets of wings, part of a hinge, etc)