 Off-Topic / Fun / 3590
Re: Lugnet Loves Cats!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:10:46 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Patricia Schempp wrote:
Cats themselves do not smell,
Oh, I dunno, our cats do occasionally pass some mean wind... and then
leave the room because they know they stank it up. That's cruel.

Yikes!--what are you feeding them?  Peanut butter and fried eggs?

I don't think I've ever known a cat to break wind.

My mom's cat did all the time. Of course you never hear it, you just notice
that the room has a sudden foulness, and you know very well that it didn't
emanate from your digestive system, and the cat is the only other one in the
room. Acutally, once I think I had the misfortune of being on the floor
playing with the cat when she cut loose. Whew...

Another odor problem some cats have is bad breath, though this is less of a
problem with cats than with dogs since cats are a little less likely to
stick their face in your face. I used to hate it when my mom's cat had fish
(of course the other problem there is when there is a bone in the fish, and
up comes dinner all over the floor).

When I lived with 4 cats (1 now), I had 4 separate litter boxes to clean • and
if I didn't do it daily, it was too much.  I think they go stink it up as
soon as you clean it because they don't like (as in, are actually afraid of
in the fight-or-flight sense) the smell of their own feces.  In the wild,
cats mark the boundaries of their territory that way, so when they smell
their own scent in that manner, it's a warning to them that they're leaving
their own territory and entering another animal's territory.  That's • probably
why they're holding it until it's freshly cleaned.  And hey, would you • rather
squat over a pile of old stink or over a pile of fresh soft sand?

Interesting point. What was always interesting about my mom's cat is that
she never totally understood the scratch the dirt over the mess part. She
was always scratching outside the litter box, thus not covering anything.
One thing we did appreciate though, she wouldn't use cat litter, would only
use soil. Cleaning the litter box meant taking it outside to the mulch pile
and dumping. Just before winter, my mom would have to dig up several buckets
of soil to store inside. Of course you also had to do an occaisonal plant
patrol (hm, the living room has a slight odor, ooh, look at what the cat
did).

That's how a mother cat trains her young.  They watch and learn.  She • usually
wounds the mouse enough that it can't run away, but it's not quite dead. • The
young then finish it off.

If a grown cat did that, then maybe was it a domestic housecat that either
didn't know how to mouse properly or was already overfed...(?)  When I was
a kid and watched the cats catch mice up at my grandparents' farm, there • was
no cruelty -- it was stalk, chase, kill, chew, done.

I suppose my mom's cat wasn't properly educated. She would play with the
mouse (actually, usually moles) until it didn't play any more, and then she
was done. She did learn to eat the birds she caught though from the 2nd cat
we got, and maybe she even started to eat the moles, though I think she
still played with them. We much petered it when she just played with them
though, much more pleasant cleanup.

The 2nd cat had one interesting "hunting" technique. She would leap in the
air and swallow bumble bees right out of the air. Either she never got
stung, or ignored it (distinct possibility, she was a little shy on brains,
we had a double swinging door, 1st cat would come up to door, stand on rear
paws, and push it open, 2nd cat would tuck her head in and charge).

Frank