 Off-Topic / Fun / 3468
Re: Age average
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 01:27:14 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

Yes and we had one of the first Apple II+ computers around 1978 or 1979 I think
(not to clear as far as the date).  We thought it was the best thing ever.  It
had 2 5-1/2 inch floppy drives and that was it.

[ ratcheting up the rhetoric one more notch ]

Somewhere off to the right of me (in a pile of non-Lego stuff) is my
second hobby computer, a SWTPC-6800. One of the '75-'76 breed. It has a
whole whopping 20K of ram in it :) My first was the MITS version (Altair
680b), I hated it but loved the SWTPC. BIOS is ROM !! What more could a
person ask for ? <grin>  Everytime I look at it, I wonder if I should
put it up on eBay, then I think of those cold winter nights, when all
those ram chips and the TTY kept me warm.

You had floppies ?? Man, were you lucky. Try loading basic from audio
tape at 1200b. The last time I had the SWTPC powered on was a few years
back. I had the serial port talking to a Mac. Still worked. Still had to
reseat some of the ram chips :)

Ray