 Off-Topic / Fun / 3476
Re: Age average
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:45:15 GMT

Mookie wrote:

Talk about a blast from the past... I remember my first computer being a
Timex Sinclair, it had little chiclet keys, very little memory.. and you
had to program it to do anything because it didn't seem like there was
anything written for it.. It saved everything to normal tape recorder
and it was always a pain to find the prg you wanted to load.  I then
Graduated at age 11 to a Commodore Vic 20, again still with tape drive
and 300 baud modem, though the Donkey Kong game cart I got for it is
still the BEST graphics I've ever seen for the game outside of the orig
Arcade game!! Then of course, I got the Commodore 64, used the tape deck
from the Vic... and I got a 1200 baud modem which was supposed to be the
fasted a modem would EVER go! I still remember the day I brought home

I may not have it exactly right, but I think 1200 _BAUD_ is as fast as
modems go. They've just figured out how to separate BPS from BAUD...

My first computer was an Ohio Scientific C1P with 4k RAM plus 1k video
memory. There was very little available for it. Then as a graduation
present from my dad when I finished my Master's he bought me a Zenith
Z-151 PC luggable which had been upgraded with a 10 Meg Plus Hard Card
(which I later added a 40 meg hard drive to). I finally got rid of that
beast this spring, I even used it every once in a while as my 360k
floppy to 3.5" floppy transfer machine. My next computer was a 20 mhz
386sx with 80 meg hard drive. I still have the floppy drive and probably
a couple cables from that machine, everything else has been upgraded
piecemeal to my current whopping Pentium-100.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com