 Off-Topic / Fun / 3467
Re: Age average
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:35:30 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, James Brown writes:

But then, that might be because I'm re-reading the Lensman books ;)
Reading sci fi that's based on theories since disproved is really neat.

I have to agree, I can't leave a used-bookstore empty-handed if they have any
old sci-fi in there. There's something refreshing about its optimism and
imagination, especially the 50s-60s era. Unfortunately modern sci-fi tends to
reflect recent impressions that we have a clue what the future will look like -
sure, it will probably involve computers of some sort but as different from
what we know now as as we are different from the age of punch-cards.

That arrogant impression limits the scope of imagination, and blands a
once-vibrant genre. I'd prefer a story about "telepathic plant people" than a
"mysterious force that threatens the ship that is eventually defeated by using
a reversed pulse-modulated tachyon flow", any day!

How long before the sleek interfaces of Star-Trek are as laughable as the
blinking boxes of old sci-fi? Or maybe computers of the future will be blinking
boxes after all :)

"Sorry boss, I couldn't recompile the server as I've completely run out of red
LEDs."

Richard