 Off-Topic / Fun / 3346
Re: Everybody's Free (to play with Lego)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 23:51:59 GMT

I like the words.. though I don't know the song you're talking about :(
There's truth in them dar words John :)
Where's this I Feel Good one??? I think I know what that song is at
least!

Tamy

John Neal wrote:

Excellent!  This one is almost as good as your last hit "I Feel Good" {;^D

-John

James Brown wrote:

Well, the local radio has just had another rash of the Sunscreen Song go
through, and I just couldn't help but parody it with a Lego slant... Here it
is, for your (questionable) enjoyment:

Ladies and gentlemen of all varieties of class,

Play with Lego.

If I could offer you only one tip for the future, Lego would be it.  The long-
term benefits of Lego have been proven by children, whereas the rest of my
advice has no basis more reliable than my own building experience.  I will
dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your theme.  Oh, never mind.  You will not
understand the power and beauty of your theme until it’s been juniorized.  But
trust me, in 20 years, you’ll look back at catalogues of your theme and recall
in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay within it and how fun it
really was.  There are not as many Timmy's as you imagine.

Don’t worry about bulk ordering.  Or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to convince eBay that their business practises are
flawed.  The real problems in your hobby are apt to be things that never
crossed your worried mind, the kind that stab you in the foot at 4 a.m. on
some idle Tuesday.

Visit one Lego site every day that inspires you.

Build.

Don’t be careless with other people’s bricks.  Don’t put up with people who
are reckless with yours.

Sort.

Don’t waste your time on clones.  Sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re
bad.  The industry is large, and in the end, there’s only one Lego.

Remember encouragement you receive.  Forget the scor of people who don’t
understand your hobby. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old MOC’s.  Scan your old instructions and load them to Brickshelf.

Play.

Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know how to use Ldraw.  Some of the best
builders I know didn’t know how to use Ldraw when they started.  One of the
best builders I know still uses Coreldraw.

Buy plenty of brick buckets.  Be kind to your macaroni bricks.  You’ll miss
them when they’re gone.

Maybe you’ll have a NLSO, maybe you won’t.  Maybe you’ll have children, maybe
you won’t.  Maybe you’ll sell your collection, maybe you’ll build an addition
onto your house.  Whatever you do, don’t spend too much time building, but
don’t stop entirely, either.  Your creations are half finished.  So are
everybody else’s.

Enjoy your Lego.  Use it every way you can.  Don’t be afraid of it, or of what
other people think of it.  It’s the greatest toy you’ll ever own.

Collect, even if you have nowhere to shop but overpriced TRU’s.

Read the instructions, even if you don’t follow them.

Do not go to Legoland, it will only make you feel frustrated.

Get to know your parents.  You’ll never know when they’ll dig up your
childhood  Lego from the basement.  Be nice to your siblings.  They’re your
best link to your past, and the people most likely to just give you their old
collections.

Understand that websites come and go, but with a precious few you should
bookmark the pages.  Work hard to credit the ideas you use, because the more
you build, the more you use the cool stuff you see others doing.

Visit Legoland once, but leave before it makes you bitter.  Visit toy stores
often, but leave before they make you broke.

Accept certain inalienable truths:  Prices will rise, newbies will blather,
you too will get exasperated.  And when you do, you will fantasize that prices
were reasonable, RTL was civil, and newbies respected experienced builders.

Respect experienced builders.

Don’t expect anyone else to support you in .debate.  Maybe you have a good
idea.  Maybe your point is valid.  But you never know when you’re just
rehashing old news.

Don’t spend too much time in your replies, or by the time you’re done, 40
other people have answered the question.

Be careful whose Lego you buy, but be grateful to those who supply it.  On-
line auctions are a form of bulk sales.  Selling parts on-line is a way of
fishing the discount sets from the sale bins, parting them out, and selling
them for more than they are worth.

But trust me on the Lego.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/
(I suppose, for the sake of form: This paraody is a Just This Side of
Arrogance Production, copyright me, yadda yadda yadda.)

--
Keep on Bricken'
-Tamy

Follow the bouncing boxes!