 Off-Topic / Fun / 238
Re: Fibblesnork Uber-Garlic Pickles are in the fridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 01:44:51 GMT

Ah, the next chef for the Cooking Channel!!!!

Todd Lehman wrote:

[Followups set to lugnet.off-topic.fun]

"Ralph Hempel" <rhempel@bmts.com> writes:
Scott Smallbeck wrote in message ...
I just finished preparing a jar of Fibblesnork Uber-Garlic pickles and cannot
wait to try them.  I am very curious to see how long it takes for the peppers
and garlic to be absorbed into the pickles.

If you've run the garlic through a garlic press, then the flavor is usually
soaked in pretty well after only a few hours.  But it's still best to let it
mature for 2-3 days.  Beware of eating the pickles too early -- even with
pressed garlic -- you need to give the whole mixture time for the "raw
garlic" taste to dissolve away and evolve into the warm, buttery flavour.

I will try a few every day
starting tomorrow and will see how fast the flavor develops.

I guess Fall is the season for these...  :)  I just made a few jars of these
myself over the past week.  It saves significantly on the costs to do 3 or 4
or more jars at once.  Plus you can give whole jars of them away to friends.

Say, I just discovered a new flavour improvement -- I'm not sure about
adding it to the official recipe yet, but it seems to be working so far.

See what you think:

Add 1 teaspoon of dry-roasted sunflower seed kernels (that is, the hearts/
insides, not the shells) to the mixture.  Doesn't matter if they're salted
or unsalted -- there's enough salt in the pickles already.  The sunflower
seeds bring out an additional warm, buttery aftertaste...really yummy.

And you can spoon out the pickled sunflower seeds afterwards too -- they're
actually not too bad!

Stand well clear of the blast zone, or your eyes may water. The garlic and
peppers are absorbed slowly but, depending on your digestive tract, they can
be expelled with remarkable force.
So much for "What you can't see can't hurt you..."

Hmm (eek!) there's a new quote for the Quotes page.  :)

--Todd