 Off-Topic / Fun / 2163
Re: A young start?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 17:57:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Steve Bliss writes:
It's very often the *teacher* who 'diagnoses' a child as ADD, ADHD,
Hyperactive, etc.  They'd rather have a class full of quiet, compliant
children, than a class full of kids trying to live up to their potential.

Ahh, so the teachers are simply getting annoyed because they can't keep
the interest up?  Yeah, better to install brainwave dampers on the "problem"
kids than to give them something interesting to think about.  :-)

But the parents are foolish enough to go along with the 'experts'.  Instead
of doing their own homework, getting outside evidence/information, and
forming their own opinions.

Sigh.  :-(

A Common Approach To Diagnosing ADHD: prescribe Ritalin.  If the symptoms
go away, the child has ADHD.

Is there something wrong with this, or is it just me?

Yeah, I think the symptoms would go away just as well with arsenic, mercury,
or lead paint.  Doesn't sound like sound logic to me either.

--Todd