 Off-Topic / Fun / 1886
Re: http case sensitivity (Was: Dacta Sets For Sale - 15% Off - New Sets)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:36:06 GMT

Sproaticus wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:
GeoCities seems to be partially case-sensitive.
<http://www.geocities.com/rodeodrive/mall/1994/>
will work, but
<HTTP://WWW.GEOCITIES.COM/RODEODRIVE/MALL/1994/>
won't.  That just bites.  Who wrote that server?

It's possible that the host name "WWW.GEOCITIES.COM" (which is resolved via
DNS) is case-insensitive (1), and the directory path
"/rodeodrive/mall/1994/" (which is resolved by the server's file system) is
case-sensitive.  The only case-insensitive http servers I've seen have been
on Win32 and NetWare platforms -- both developed with at least a partial
MS-DOS mentality.

DNS *is* case insensitive (at least according to RFC 1035:
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/rfc/rfc1035/rfc1035.html#2.3.3.
although that might have been superseded- I didn't like to page through
all the supplements to the original). So the first bit will work whatever.

The path is definitely case sensitive, but the server (1) does
autocorrect case in some instances: the correct path is
/RodeoDrive/Mall/1994/ but /rodeodrive/mall/1994/ is automatically
'fixed'. /Rodeodrive/Mall/1994/ doesn't work though (changing the D to
d), so it can't be that clever.

Follow-ups to .geek only, unless anyone thinks this is fun (2)

It's another entirely frustrating argument about why Win32 filesystems don't
handle filename case properly...  Thanks a whole freaking bunch, Bill.  >:-P

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  Which begs the question, why...

(1) I used netcraft to try and figure out what the server was but it's
not telling
(2) I do but then I'm a geek. So that seems like the right place...