 Off-Topic / Fun / 1587
Re: off-topic.geek charter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 16:32:12 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
<message points rearranged>
...Ya know, item #1 would provide a fascinating show at the next
Legopalooza.
Maybe we could surpass the Burning Man in popularity..

From Webster's:

geek /'gEk/ n.
1: a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually
includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake
So what you're saying is that we're gonna have BBQ at Legopalooza? Then no
spamcake allowed. No spamlog allowed either.(1)

2: a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of
Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German
geck, from Middle Low German
Sounds like some people's opinions of lego builders. (Certainly not mine! :)

Date: 1914
I'll bet it goes further back than that. The abacus is much older so computing
devices, and therefore geeks, are centuries old. Like ketchup, pasta, paper,
and gunpowder, it would be just like China to come up with the first geek too.

(pushing glasses to bridge of nose with index finger)  A geek with a date.
Cool!  :-,

-Tom McD.

(1) Spamlog differs from spamcake in two minor points: it's shape: roughly
cylindrical - any length to width ratio surpassing 10 to 1 is considered
spamcable; and two more additional ingredients: trace amounts of headcheese and
haagas.