 Off-Topic / Fun / 11189
Re: What Makes A Collectible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:24:44 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Ryan Swarick wrote:
   Collecting is fun, not an investment. That is what it means to me.

I collect many things from 3 3/4” G.I.Joe figures from the 80’s to today, comic books, to Star Trek and Star Wars Hallmark ornaments. Being a toy collector, I have seen, “Limited Edition” and “Collector’s Edition” on many things. What
snip

   I don’t collect LEGO. I never will sell my Classic Space sets. When I buy sets today, I mostly buy them for the pieces. If I thought that LEGO sets would have

snip
   A collectible is a collectible when other people want it. That is why toys from the 80’s are going for insane prices. I have bought things, hoping the price would go up and never did. I don’t do that anymore. It is a rude awakening for people who bought the Maersk set hoping that it would go up in price someday.

Hmm... not only do I whole-heartedly agree, I wonder how many people collect the exact same things?!? I too, was obsessed with 3.75” GIJoe vehicles and figs (had the entire 1984 catalog). Hall Mark ornaments: I really wanted the 2005 1701A... but I blinked and it was gone! (had alreayd spent waaay too much on Christmas junk. Next time I’ll remember to get them BEFORE Oct before I go broke in Dec). Additionally, Art Asylum Starship Legends (wow these are good... wish they’d get the rights to B5 and other forgotten sci fi as well).

Not to mention an insane collection of videogames spanning 15 years (I started playing them 30 years ago, but only thought to collect them since 91). Several of my friends are also Sci fi/GiJoe/Videogame (and Transformer) junkies. I’m guessing there’s a lot of people with very similar collections :p

And of course, Lego. Now, I HAVE collected the odd LEGO set with the same mentality... but I already learned to only collect that which you don’t mind keeping. (My wife enjoyes Beanie Babies, and it was my “buy a spare one to sell” attitude that made us end up with 2 of each for a while). Fortunately, she doesn’t mind.

Just like I don’t mind having a couple of original Snowspeeder, Y Wing and X Wing Lego sets unopened.... if I sell them someday, great. If not, more parts for me! (They’re unopened because after 2 years in our new place, I STILL haven’t finished unpacking all my junk).

(if this posts it’ll be the first post in a week or so that’s worked! I haven’t been able to post for some reason)

In a nutshell: I concur.