 Off-Topic / Fun / 10919
10918  |  10920
Subject:
What Makes A Collectible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 2004 21:06:59 GMT

Ok, kids and adult kids alike,

Just what makes a collectible item collectible. WARNING: LONG WINDED POST.

I've been reading the 10125 update thread to .lego and I just had to chime in
with my own experiences of collecting.

I've posted this to .off-topic because what I used to collect concerns Star Trek
memorabilia.

I started collecting ST memeorabilia when I was fairly young. Around 6. I'm 42
now. My first collectible item was an original factory sealed Galileo
shuttlecraft model from AMT. Not the remake from AMT-ERTLE.

I was not much of a model builder but I liked the way the box looked and
proceeded to purchase many other ST models from the same line. I still own all
of them. Several years later AMT was purchased by ERTLE, and the company became
known as AMT-ERTLE.

This was about the time that the first ST movie came to the big screen. The new
company began to pump out every conceivable ship model it could think of. I
purchased one of every single model. Every one is still factory sealed in mint
condition.

I also purchased paperback books, comics, plates, etc. from every company that
was producing ST merchandise. I spent thousands of dollars on things I liked and
so to me they were collectible. Many of those paperback books, plates and comics
are autographed by cast members. These are my most cherished collectibles. There
is not one item in this collection I would ever wish to sell. I get a lot of
enjoyment just having them displayed, and any time friends stop by, they begin
drooling.

Ok, now to the what is it worth part of this post.

About 10 years ago I had the entire collection appraised by a professional. I'd
give you his name, but it has been a long time and I don't remember where I put
the paperwork. The total appraised value 10 years ago was $10,000. I spent way
more than that on the items. However, only a small fraction of the collection
accounted for most of that value. Most of the items were "limited run" items.

I can give you a few examples of items I bought for regular MSRP and years later
began seeing them for 8 to 10 times their original value. First to come to mind
is the Vulcan Shuttle from ST:TMP. I purchased it for $14.00. Now years later it
is selling for upwards of $80.00. Or how about that original Galileo model I
first mentioned way back up there. I purchased it for $8.00. I have never seen
it for under $100.00. Here's a good one. The first ST Hallmark Christmas
ornament. The original Enterprise. MSRP was $24.00. I dare anyone to find it for
under $400.00. I did not mean that literally, just my own experience.

The point I am trying to make is this, a true collectible is anything that you
personally take enjoyment from, wether it be to resell, or like myself display
with pride. But like the stock market, you may lose money on the deal, and it
may take years beyond your lifetime before that item is worth anything more than
what you originally paid for it.

Everyone who collects anything takes a risk. It just depends on why you are
collecting that determines what that item is actually worth TO YOU. Not the rest
of the world.

LET THE FLAMING BEGIN.

Steven Weiser