 Off-Topic / Fun / 10923
Re: What Makes A Collectible
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 01:27:33 GMT

Collecting is fun, not an investment.
That is what it means to me.

I collect many things from 3 3/4" G.I.Joe figures from the 80's to today, comic
books, to Star Trek and Star Wars Hallmark ornaments. Being a toy collector, I
have seen, "Limited Edition" and "Collector's Edition" on many things.  What
these things mean, if you are in it to resell, stay away from them.  These are
not short run items.  It is a way to sell stuff and usually these things with
these titles have higher runs than stuff that doesn't.  In the late 90's, so
many toys said that, and are now worthless.  Always exceptions, don't get me
wrong.  I never buy anything with the intention to sell it to make a profit.
Takes the fun out of it.  When I see "Limited Edition" I will buy it if it is
something I want.

I don't collect LEGO.  I never will sell my Classic Space sets.  When I buy sets
today, I mostly buy them for the pieces.  If I thought that LEGO sets would have
gone up in price, I should have kept them in the box.  But there is no fun in
that.  I build with it and have fun.

A collectible is a collectible when other people want it.  That is why toys from
the 80's are going for insane prices. I have bought things, hoping the price
would go up and never did.  I don't do that anymore.  It is a rude awakening for
people who bought the Maersk set hoping that it would go up in price someday.
LEGO should not put collectible titles on their products.  That was the late
90's thing to do, those days are over.  I can't tell the LEGO Company what to
do, I just won't buy that set.  Not because of the title, I just didn't want it.

Collect for fun, not for profit.  You will be happier in the end.
Trust me, I know.

Thanks for reading
Ryan