 Off-Topic / Fun / 1106
Re: Linux backup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 00:37:06 GMT

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 06:54:25 GMT, cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com (Mike Stanley)
wrote:

But I got to thinking today that I've spent probably 3 days so far
getting all this installed and configured.  Getting Star Office to
work for multiple users was a nice ordeal all by itself.

yeah... Linux itself isn't all that abd if you're used to it, but I
wouldn't inflict Gnome and KDE (let alone the install of said) on a
newbie with a ten foot pole. What's wrong with fvwm2-95, and/or
choosing either gnome or KDE?

I don't have this for the Linux box yet and doubt I can even do it
that way (with that program anyway).

I'm not sure, but I _think_ the Ghost people have Linux versions.

So, I guess my question would be how do make a reliable backup of that
machine?  It has no scsi card so doing a direct burn onto a blank cd
would not be a convenient option.  It does have network connectivity,
though, so if I could just dump it all to a file I could ftp it over
to the burner machine and burn it on cd.  'Course, I know as little
about possible restoration methods as I do backup methods.

If you just cp the lot , and rerun lilo on the HD, you're set.

suggestions for dumping the lot to one file: man tar.

Then, you make a bootable rescue floppy (most distro's come with one,
actually), and you make sure it has tar. Then, to restore, boot your
rescue floppy, manually mount your root partition (and any others) and
your cd, untar the lot(also man tar ;) ), run lilo (man lilo) to get
the boot record set straight, and hey presto. There's probably a _way_
easier way. tried Dejanews on *linux* ? Ghost might be a good search
word ;)

Guess I need to start looking at some howto's... suggestions/pointers
welcome.

RTFM is good. RTFM is _god_. RTFHOWTO and RTFRFC are better. *wink*

And... Dejanews is your friend.

http://www.dejanews.com/search.ps , off the top of my head.

Jasper "Newbie myself" Janssen

PP: You could try a local (as in, local to your provider or area)
linux newsgroup. They tend to be low-traffic and therefore way more
friendly to FAQs cropping up...