 Off-Topic / Fun / 1083
1082  |  1084
Subject:
Linux backup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 1999 06:54:25 GMT

Ok, time to demonstrate more of my newbieness when it comes to Linux.

I've just put together another Linux box at work, a P166MMX with
128mb.  Disabled the onboard 1meg video and installed a 4 meg
Millenium so I wouldn't have to run X at 800x600 to get 16bit color.

I've spent the last few days getting things up and running.  I have
KDE installed and am going to try to put Gnome on as well (assuming I
can have multiple window managers/etc installed at the same time).
Just put Star Office on today.  I'm not bothering to setup any server
type stuff on this at all, in fact I've disabled most of it because I
want this to be a desktop machine for people to use in my office.

But I got to thinking today that I've spent probably 3 days so far
getting all this installed and configured.  Getting Star Office to
work for multiple users was a nice ordeal all by itself.

I have Ghost images of all my PCs, so rebuilding one after a crash or
big mistake is a matter of popping a boot floppy in and restoring from
CD.

I don't have this for the Linux box yet and doubt I can even do it
that way (with that program anyway).

So, I guess my question would be how do make a reliable backup of that
machine?  It has no scsi card so doing a direct burn onto a blank cd
would not be a convenient option.  It does have network connectivity,
though, so if I could just dump it all to a file I could ftp it over
to the burner machine and burn it on cd.  'Course, I know as little
about possible restoration methods as I do backup methods.

Guess I need to start looking at some howto's... suggestions/pointers
welcome.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide