 Off-Topic / Fun / 1101
  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) The above may be a reason to buy a PS2, if DVD movies take off like they're supposed to. (...) *drool* (...) I woner if they mean the4 games are developed under linux, or that there will be a Linux port. If the latter, well, I think I might (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Actually, I think this point is still up for contention over at Sony, because Sony doesn't want to drop the prices on all of its DVD[-only] machines. I'm guessing they'll still go through with it (making PSX2 do DVD), because DVD just isn't (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Yeah, but you don't HAVE to spend $1500 to get a computer that will play games better than any console anymore, especially when you remove the price of the monitor (which you should, since you can't play a console without a tv). I built my (...) (25 years ago, 9-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Granted, "not anymore". When the playstation came out, a voodoo card alone was half the cost of a playstation, never mind CPU prices. Now, the cost of a playstation-level computer is under $400. Same thing will happen when the Dreamcast and (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) Don't get me started on the cost of 3d accelerators. :) As an early adopter I paid $600 for my 2 12mb voodoo2 cards. Now the same thing can be had for less than $250, I think. 'Course, I got 9 months or so of use out of them. (...) Oh yeah, (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2

(...) I.e. you were picking off people from a distance before most people had a "distance" from which to be picked off. :) (...) You and me BOTH. I've been holding off on buying a new computer for a *long* time, and this might be the thing that puts (...) (25 years ago, 10-Mar-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)