 Off-Topic / Fun / 10987
Re: The End of the ISD - An illustrated Star Wars Story
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:54:53 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Rob Hendrix wrote:
Human:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=human

Noun -

      1.    A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H.
sapiens.
      2.    A person: the extraordinary humans who explored Antarctica.

Adjective -
  1.. Of, relating to, or characteristic of humans: the course of human
events; the human race.
  2.. Having or showing those positive aspects of nature and character
regarded as distinguishing humans from other animals: an act of human
kindness.
  3.. Subject to or indicative of the weaknesses, imperfections, and
fragility associated with humans: a mistake that shows he's only human;
human frailty.
  4.. Having the form of a human.
  5.. Made up of humans: formed a human bridge across the ice.
Homo sapiens:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=Homo%20sapiens

Noun -

      The modern species of humans, the only extant species of the primate
family
      Hominidae.

Personally I think "human" would specifically only be used when referring to
homo sapiens who's race originated on Earth.  Humans are also known as
Earthlings, and sometimes meatbags(1).

Rob

1) Meatbag:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=meatbag&r=f
    Noun -
    A derogatory word for a human, usually used by a robot.

Okay, so I guess I deserved a taste of my own medicine ;-) But like I said, I
was referring *specifically* to the SW line, and I guess I should have clarifed
that when I used the word 'human' I did'nt mean it in the biological sense, but
leaning more towards the philosophical, like having ABSTRACT human-like
qualities?

Legoswami Samarth