 Off-Topic / Fun / 10698
Re: 419 scammer in .robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2004 04:42:34 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

What are 419s?

419 refers to the Nigerian Penal Code section for this kind of crime.

The letters/emails are still getting responses decades after the scam was
created. The U.S. Secret Service has a special webpage for information:
http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
and there is a wider private-sector site, The 419 Coalition, dedicated to
stopping the scam:
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Hope that helps,

It does.. Thanks Clark! (your fount of amazingly obscure facts never ceases to
amaze...)

OK once I get hold of something, sometimes I worry it to pieces.

While reading about a Mecha based combat game (1) (a link found from an orkut
profile) I ran across another entry in this fellows blog pointing to a 419 story
that's "out of this world"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/16/cosmic_419er/

++Lar

1 - http://joshua.swingpad.com/ROROGA/ROROGA.html