 Administrative / General / 11629
Re: 419 scammer in .robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 14:32:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
Todd-

Someone's been posting 419s via email in the .robotics
newsgroup.  I don't know why, or how, except that I know
its subscription works differently than the rest of LUGNET.
But I thought I'd flag it for you.

Anyways, that's a first for me, 419 scam come-ons on LUGNET.

What are 419s?

"Nigerian Lockbox" is how I've always known that scam and its variants.

This is not the first time this has happened. (you need to get out more, I
guess...) It's due to the gateway with an external mailing list, which does not
do as good a job of prescreening posters as LUGNET does (IMHO).

Calls in the past for the link to be cut or for some tightening of their
security have not been well received.

Personally, I think it's time to cut the link. It's the only external link
LUGNET has AFAIK, and I don't see the value add. I didn't before and nothing's
changed my opinion.

But that's my personal opinion...

The counter argument is that these spams are relatively harmless, the list admin
does a good job of turning them off relatively quickly, and the mailing list
link increases visibility on both sides to an interesting and important topic.