 Administrative / General / 11635
Re: 419 scammer in .robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2004 12:54:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Lindsay Frederick Braun wrote:
Todd-

Someone's been posting 419s via email in the .robotics
newsgroup.  I don't know why, or how, except that I know
its subscription works differently than the rest of LUGNET.
But I thought I'd flag it for you.

Anyways, that's a first for me, 419 scam come-ons on LUGNET.

What are 419s?

419 refers to the Nigerian Penal Code section for this kind of crime.

The letters/emails are still getting responses decades after the scam was
created. The U.S. Secret Service has a special webpage for information:
http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
and there is a wider private-sector site, The 419 Coalition, dedicated to
stopping the scam:
http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

Hope that helps,
Clark