 Off-Topic / Debate / 9848
Re: Science and beliefs (was Re: Alien races)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2001 10:33:08 GMT

Ryan Farrington wrote:

Selçuk Göre wrote:
Ryan, could you please inform us about your profession/occupation? Just
wondering. I never think that science is a matter of "beliefs", so I
just wanted to learn which "facts" do you have under your "scientific
belief", and how can you obtain them.

Selçuk

I'm sorry, Selçuk, but I don't understand what exactly you are asking.
Could you please rephrase it?

BTW, I'm a seventeen-year-old college student.

Thanks,
--Ryan

I think my phrase was quite open, although I'm not a native english
speaker and screw up saying the exact words quite frequently. Actually,
you seem to be understand since you already answered the question...:-)

What I want to learn is, this "young earth" thing is a "belief" or do
you have any support for it (scientific, I mean), or to be in a position
to say this and defend.

If this is a "belief" thing, then everything is ok for me, and probably
for you. Everyone can have his own spare time activities. I have lego
and aircraft modeling, you have lego and christianity.

But everything starts changing direction if you put this as a
"scientific" theory, then I call this simply "stupid" if I use softest
appropriate term of the language. I can't see any difference between
saying "earth does not revolve around sun, because some whatever book
says so" and saying "the earth is 4004 years old". Both ideas are
stupid, just it. I'm NOT sorry if I insulted you by this, but I'm not
saying "stupid" to you, I just naming the way of thinking as "stupid".
This is a very normal thing though, since there are always really
"stupid" ideas around, and every human being on earth can have these
"stupid" ideas independently from being a wise man/woman or not,
including me.

Dave! posted quite much well thought out messages about "what the
science is" during the last several debates of similar subject. The main
idea is, science never believes anything. It observes the evidence, and
produce theories based on them. Besides, if further evidence does not
support the theory, it tries to put another, more appropriate one. It
never tries to prove a already given thing without any evidence, by
trying to find evidences to support this given. I really suggest finding
and reading some of them.

Selçuk